.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

DIODE .... hangs by a thread

Tuesday, January 17, 2006

"Leukopenia" and elevated ferritin.

Well I saw a physician on Friday (1/13) to get some fasting labs done, and just got the results today.

Apparently my white count is a little "low" (3200), with fairly normal diff except for "absolute monocytes".

Also my ferritin level is 516 with a normal transferrin sat.

Everything else looked good (check out that lipid profile!!).

Anyhow this doc doesn't even want to deal with it at all, just wants me to go to Heme/Onc for a consult. Didn't even talk to me about it, had his nurse talk to me ("He says you have leukopenia and a high ferritin, and he wants you to call this oncologist.") [Haven't had many confidence-inspiring interactions with physicians here in Florida, but that's a post for another day.]

You can see the labs here:

http://s41.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=39NFEAOY32X9X3JC8MZVWH9E9C

Thought I'd submit it to DIODE and see what you guys thought.

No symptoms, no bronze-colored skin (that might be kind of neat actually), etc. ... I have lost about 15 lbs over the past 3 weeks - but that's likely from this new diet I'm on. Also, I did shave my head last night.

Oh by the way - I did realize that I had some minor dental work done last Tuesday (1/10). The hygenist told me (as usual) that my gums are pretty inflamed and I got a thorough cleaning followed by minocycline irrigation and the placement of a minocycline pellet into one of the "pockets". So the ferritin could just be an acute phase reactant.

Personally I'm thinking I should just go in and have some repeat labs done - CBC, ferritin, transferrin sat. (and maybe another lipid profile, but only to impress myself!!).

Comments?

4 Comments:

  • dude. I'd have the labs repeated if you care to; if you do add an ESR. Could be a viral infection. I see low monocytes in bacterial infections like endocarditis, but they are usually overwhelming infections. Glad your TSH is in the normal range b/c I've seen this in thyroid disease. Why did he order the ferritin? Are you just chasing lab tests? You should order fecal leukocytes on your doc 'cause I think he has something up his butt. Speaking of that, what does his nurse look like. Please post pics.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:43 PM  

  • also, I noticed trace ketones in your urine, so I suggest you eat something...quick. congrats on the rubik's cube record over the weekend!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:45 PM  

  • Thanks for the suggestions.

    Yeah, I guess he went off on a fishing expedition for no apparent reason. I think I scared him with the little fit I threw after I'd been in the waiting room for an hour (they're an hour behind already, at 9 AM?!).

    Also I managed to embarrass him into speechlessness by asking him whether auscultation should really be done through my clothing. (I can be a real dick when I'm pissed, don't know if any of you have noticed.) He eventually stammered, "well, uh, when there are no symptoms ... uh" Ha.

    So when it came time to order the labs he must have figured I was likely to go around throwing shit if he didn't order everything imaginable. Also maybe to find an organic reason for my apparent personality disorder.

    Anyhow I called the office today and left a message about wishing to have repeat labs done ... subsequently I was using the Treo as a bluetooth modem so I missed his call back, but he left a message:

    "Just come in and have whatever labs you think you need."

    Maybe now's my chance to get tested for BRCA-1 and BRCA-2 ...

    By Blogger aki, at 8:09 PM  

  • well maybe your doctor spent a litle less time podcasting, and more time obtaining CME, he or she might know what is going on?.??

    a real dick when you are pissed??? is this some sort of urology message board?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home