.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

DIODE .... hangs by a thread

Thursday, January 12, 2006

Need A New MP3 Player

Well, it's finally happened ... my beloved Archos Jukebox Recorder v.2 has at last given up the ghost. This is the second one I've owned that has died.

Archos doesn't make 'em anymore, probably because they keep dying, and for that same reason I'm thinking it's probably not a good idea to get a used one off eBay.

So, I'm looking for a new MP3 player ... preferably one that does everything that the Archos did, though it'll be tough to beat in terms of functionality.

Any suggestions?

1. Price should be less than $300 new, or less than $250 on eBay.
2. It has to be 40 gigs or more, or upgradable to that capacity.
3. A line-in for recording would be ideal, though not essential.
4. None of the words in the name of the device or the accompanying software can begin with the letter "i".

The closest I've seen so far is the Creative Zen Touch, which is 40 gigs, no line-in, $270 new.

What do you think?

4 Comments:

  • Yeah, I don't think I'll be wanting XM anytime soon ... by the way, I heard there ARE commercials in satellite radio, i.e. in the talk stations. Is that true?

    Why would you choose XM over Sirius? Is the MLB package the main reason? It would be for me. But I still don't see why people would pay for radio.

    As for the Treo - I'd forgotten about that as an option. It actually works surprisingly well for music, but what I really would like is something to be an MP3 player plus a kind of backup for my MP3 collection, at least a good part of it. And, you never know when the urge to listen to a particular song from the 80's might arise!

    By Blogger aki, at 12:22 PM  

  • Goose. Did you really say you can't see why people would pay for radio? Do you pay for TV? Do you watch local news on TV or do you prefer CNN? Standard radio stinks except for NPR. Do you ever try to listen to the radio in the AM? Do you have a shower radio or a radio in your car? Standard radio is just shouting and then commercials followed by more shouting. You actually can do things while listening to radio, while TV just sucks your life away, just like this here internet...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:26 PM  

  • Mempocom?

    By Blogger aki, at 8:08 AM  

  • shoes?
    shoes!
    shoes...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home