.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

DIODE .... hangs by a thread

Tuesday, November 15, 2005

The Treo 650 as a Bluetooth modem

Hi DIODE! It’s been a while since there have been any posts on the ol’ blog, but I’ve been meaning to share a few neat things with y’all so I’ve got a few posts to, um, post today.

First of all, now that the Sprint network is back up here in S. Florida, I’ve had the chance to use the Treo as a bluetooth modem on several occasions, and I have to say it’s just fantastic!! The setup wasn’t as straighforward and logical as it really should be, but once it works, it works. I like going to Barnes & Noble or elsewhere to do work sometimes, to get out of the house, and the Treo allows me to get on the ‘net while I’m there.

It’s no slouch, either - at 175-180 kbps, it’s 3 times as fast as a 56k modem, and I can have multiple tabs loading in firefox at the same time, and it’s reasonable.

Plus, with the network setting at 230kbs “max”, I can still make phone calls at the same time! And with the Sprint data plan, I can have the Bluetooth net access on indefinitely and still just get charged the usual $15/month.

It’s not TOO hard on the battery, either, though I plug it in when I can. It kind of stinks that the B&N that’s right near me has ZERO outlets for anyone, so I can’t plug it in there, but my Thinkpad G41 is such a power hog that it never gets to the point where the phone battery is a problem.

Anyhow, I’m really quite impressed that it works as well as it does.

1 Comments:

  • Well the most I've gotten is 185kbps. I've never gotten 230kbs - that is the just the setting that I use in the "Configure" bluetooth modem menu.

    I tried setting it to the highest possible setting, which was like 900kbps or something like that, and found that I couldn't make or receive voice calls at that setting. Then I realized that if the highest I'm getting anyways is 185kbs, there's no need to set it that high. (Ok so this was a major insight for me. Cut me some slack here!)

    I bet if you set the modem "speed" higher in the configure dialog, you can get a better througput!

    By Blogger aki, at 9:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home