.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

DIODE .... hangs by a thread

Thursday, July 21, 2005

Critical care podcast review

I just listened to the newest "Critical care podcast" (I am the first person to subscribe to its RSS feed!) and have this to say:

1. Sound quality wise, it is a huge improvement over the previous ones (which you should remove!!) I guess the microphone really did make a difference. No popping to be heard, and the vocal was velvety smooth, without the the big pitch/speed deviations from before. That's right, I said velvety!

2. I liked the classical music bits. Much better than the rock music from before. The only thing is that I think the intro should be shorter. With more than 20 seconds in the beginning, I was thinking, "when is this actually going to start." I think 3-5 seconds should be enough.

3. Content wise, I zoned out after about a minute, but from what I heard, the article summary was good ... I think you will be the first "podcaster" to ever utter the phrase allogenic hematopoietic stem cell transplantation.

4. I personally think you should remove all references to iPods. You say in there that "although podcasts were initially designed with iPods in mind, they can be played on any mp3 player," and "be sure to tell your friends without iPods to tune in" ... this to me smacks of iPod self-importance - iPod hubris, even - and detracts from the actual critical care content. Many people think iPods suck big donkey cock, believe it or not. In fact, if your listeners have any sense of value & cost/benefit, they will have already eschewed the iPod for something more functional and less expensive. (Thought I'd throw that little iPod diss into my otherwise sensible review of your podcast).

In the beginning, I think going straight to "the goal of this podcast is to ... etc" would be better. It's good to have a reminder for people to tell their friends/colleagues about the podcast, but this should be at the end.


That's it. Again I think it sounds very good, definitely much, much better than before. I've never actually heard any other podcasts, but I think you've done a nice job with this one and again I would remove the old ones as they had an 'amateur' sound to them that you don't really want in there.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home